Back to Article List
At Home Senior Services Professionals Talk About Brain Injuries And Falls In Seniors
Mar 26, 2018 by Tammara LaCasse
One of the most common accidents that occurs in seniors is TBI or traumatic brain injury due to falls. At home senior services professionals warn that this type of injury can be fatal and when it is not fatal, it often leads to serious health complications or problems in the future. It is important that you work closely with your loved one and their care team to develop a plan that works to avoid slips and falls in the home.
Below, you will find some helpful tips provided by our at home senior services team. These tips are perfect for anyone who may be worried about their loved one’s safety in their home.
- Make sure your loved one’s home is well lit, especially in dark places, as accidents and falls are more likely to happen when your senior cannot see
- Take your loved one to the optometrist at least once per year to have their eyes checked
- Encourage your loved one to exercise at a minimum of 30 minutes per day to help develop better coordination and balance
- Make sure that any hazards in your loved one’s home are removed. Some of the common hazards include wires on the floor, loose rugs, and clutter
- Talk to your loved one’s primary care doctor if you are worried about their overall health. You can also ask about any medications they may be taking and whether or not these medications will affect their balance
- Install assistive devices throughout your loved one’s home to ensure they can complete their daily activities without the risk of falling
If you would like to learn more about our at home senior services in Boise, contact the experts at Comfort Keepers today!